The training focuses on the fundamental planning of a project.
Based on a project charter, the scope of work, schedule and cost planning for an example project are developed successively.
The following aspects of project planning are deepened and applied on the basis of a case study:
- Process of project initiation/definition
- Scope planning in projects
- Scheduling in projects
- Risk and opportunity planning in projects
- Cost planning in projects
- Completion of planning and preparation of project execution and control
The underlying case study with 3 sub-projects also simulates the coordination of interfaces and other coordination aspects (e.g. schedule synchronization, balancing of resources) of several (sub) projects in a more complex project environment.
Practical-oriented Virtual Classroom Training:
- based on a case study: 30% presentation / 70% application of methods in the case study
- divided into 4 half-day sessions of 4 hours each, which allows you to learn in parallel to your daily business
- one initial session to get to know each other and ensure technical functionality
Initial session: Preparation and introduction
Kick-off | Getting to know each other | Introducing the seminar procedure | Checking the tools used
1st session: Basics of planning
General planning principles | Introduction to the case study scenario| Reading into the case study documents | Question and answer session
2nd session: Scope Management
Requirements | Project Scope Statement | Synchronization of Scope Statements | Work Breakdown Structure | Work Package Description
3rd session: Schedule Management
Network planning | Effort estimation | Duration determination | Consolidation of subplans to an overall schedule
4th session: Cost Management/Risk Management/Lessons Learned
Risk budget/reserves | Cost estimate | Project management plan | Lessons Learned
- You will get to know PMBOK® Best Practices and methods / tools for project initiation and planning.
- You will be able to apply best practices for project planning, create a meaningful and complete work breakdown structure, define clear work package descriptions and create a resource-based project schedule that can be tracked using the Earned Value method.
- You will develop an understanding of the effort required for planning and learn what the main focus should be.
- You will understand how to integrate the work breakdown structure and the schedule in projects with subprojects and subcontractors
- You will be able to derive a solid cost estimate from the content and effort planning and include necessary measures for identified risks in the calculation
- You will get to know tricks, pitfalls and problems of integrated planning.
We recommend to attend this course first and then „Project Control“, as this logical sequence results from the project management processes applied in the project life cycle. The „Project Control“ course uses the same case study with predefined planning documents.
- Computer / Tablet
- Internet access
- Internet-Browser (e.g. Chrome)
- Microsoft Teams App (recommended, but optional)
The training requires at least 3 participants and is limited to a maximum of 9 participants.